Today, Wednesday 24th, Google confirmed speculation that it would be releasing an IM client. Named Google Talk, the program allows you to send an instant message or call anyone for free.
The limitation is that, due to the beta condition, a GMail account is required - although these are becoming increasingly easier to get. (I have 49 invites, so don't be shy if you want one)
Google Talk uses the Jabber protocol, so any client supporting this protocol can be used to send Instant Messages (Google's client is supposedly the only option for calls).
Contrary to rumour, there are no ads anywhere on Google Talk which is defiantly a pulling power over something like MSN Messenger. Personally, I don't plan on giving up my MSN account just yet, as Google Talk is very limited at the moment. Knowing Google, I don't think this will last for long.
I doubt MSN are celebrating this release, but I certainly am.
Nice on Google /good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(Y)' />
Google Talk Released
Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator
Google Talk Released
Last edited by Scott on Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Google Talk Released
My opinions are exactly like vultures.
Also, if you need invites I also have around 45-50 I can send out.
Also, if you need invites I also have around 45-50 I can send out.
[align=center]

“If you stop learning, you stop living.” ~Tami Quiring
“It's the rare man who understands the value of a single perfect rose.”
[/align]

“If you stop learning, you stop living.” ~Tami Quiring
“It's the rare man who understands the value of a single perfect rose.”
[/align]
Google Talk Released
I have 50 on one account and 50 on my other /bigwink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Google Talk Released
Rumours have been flying around ever since gmail was released. If the quality and usability of any other google products (se, mail, google earth etc.) are anything to go by, this is going to give microsoft some serious competition.


