I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Old things we didn\'t want to throw away

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Post Reply
Electrix
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Electrix »

Well I thought I should post this to let ya'z know, its not a lot major or anything, but 2 days ago I found out I had a mental illness/disease or whatever you wish to call it. The news in fact did shock me and I was a bit annoyed kind of I guess but hopefully over time I'll over come it.

The disease/illness is called Bi Polar or even known as Manic Depressive.

Some Information on The Illness:

[quote]Teenagers with manic-depressive illness have an ongoing combination of extremely high (manic) and low (depressed) moods. Highs may alternate with lows, or the person may feel both extremes at close to the same time. Professionals also refer to manic-depressive illness as bipolar mood disorder.

Manic-depressive illness usually starts in adult life, before the age of 35. Although rare in young children, it does occur in teenagers. This illness can affect anyone. However, if one or both parents have manic-depressive illness, the chances are greater that their children will develop the disorder.

Manic-depressive illness may begin either with manic or depressive symptoms. The manic symptoms include:

severe changes in mood compared to others of the same age and background - either unusually happy or silly, or very irritable;
unrealistic highs in self-esteem - for example, a teenager who feels specially connected to God;
great energy increase and the ability to go with little or no sleep for days without feeling tired;
increased talking - the adolescent talks too much, too fast, changes topics too quickly, and cannot be interrupted;
distractibility - the teen's attention moves constantly from one thing to the next;
high risk-taking behavior, such as jumping off a roof with the belief that this will not cause injury.
The depressive symptoms include:

persistent sadness, frequent crying, depression;
loss of enjoyment in favorite activities;
frequent complaints of physical illnesses such as headaches or stomach aches;
low energy level, poor concentration, complaints of boredom; and
major change in eating or sleeping patterns, such as oversleeping or overeating.
Some of these signs are similar to those that occur in teenagers with other problems such as drug abuse, delinquency, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, or even schizophrenia. The diagnosis can only be made with careful observation over an extended period of time. A thorough evaluation by a child and adolescent psychiatrist can be helpful in identifying the problems, manic-depressive or other, and starting specific treatment.

Teenagers with manic-depressive illness can be effectively treated. Effective treatment for manic-depressive illness usually includes education of the patient and the family about the illness, medication such as lithium, and psychotherapy. Lithium often reduces the number and severity of manic episodes, and also helps to prevent depression. Psychotherapy helps the teenager understand himself or herself, adapt to stresses, rebuild self-esteem and improve relationships.[/quote]

I guess if this changes your view of me, I guess you have the right to I mean, I'm me. nobodys perfect and I guess this is one of my many faults and hurdles that I have to face in life. Once youve hit rock bottom the only way is up. Now ill probly have to have heaps of meds demnit >.<

Electrix.
Last edited by Electrix on Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]

forgedeuphoriacom - now with 30% less fat.

stylecommentcom - recently relaunched!

[/align]
Vercz
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 11:13 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Vercz »

hmm..that describes me to a 't' ... /shocking.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(ack)' />

i know how you feel electrix /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
Image

Image
mobil1_oils
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 11:42 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by mobil1_oils »

I wouldnt call it a fault, but if anyone sees you differently because of this its just a window into their shallowness, i mean... youve had bipolar all the time weve been chatting to you, and youve only just found out, so obviously its nothing that should make someone change their view of you, just remember theres always a helpful ear here. /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />.
Electrix
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Electrix »

yaw, thanks but I dont really get on here when Im really depressed it doesnt help a lot I just sit there all alone and think.
[align=center]

forgedeuphoriacom - now with 30% less fat.

stylecommentcom - recently relaunched!

[/align]
mobil1_oils
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 11:42 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by mobil1_oils »

Whats that last word mean... the one with the T ?? ... i dont think im familiar with the whole ... "Thinking" thing
Electrix
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Electrix »

I dont know, I just sit there for a while and ... well think. Bout life, bout my decisions, what I care about etc. but it all seems weird to most of you probably.
[align=center]

forgedeuphoriacom - now with 30% less fat.

stylecommentcom - recently relaunched!

[/align]
mobil1_oils
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 11:42 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by mobil1_oils »

Actually no, lol. Ive been through that thinking period, although it wasnt actually done told to me by a doc, i have actually gone through a manic depressive state of my life a little over 2 years ago now.
Electrix
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Electrix »

ah well guess you do know what youre talking about then. im in for the ride of my life now /huh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':huh:' /> (sook)
[align=center]

forgedeuphoriacom - now with 30% less fat.

stylecommentcom - recently relaunched!

[/align]
Vercz
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 11:13 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Vercz »

definately are..ive been going through one for about 4 months now..and still going...yay ....its all weird.. /shocking.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(ack)' />
Image

Image
Electrix
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Electrix »

yaw thats true, we're all in for the ride of our lives, yey. not much else to live for y'know that? lifes lost all perspective for me.
[align=center]

forgedeuphoriacom - now with 30% less fat.

stylecommentcom - recently relaunched!

[/align]
Vercz
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 11:13 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Vercz »

mine looses that all the time, then i find something thats kinda worth living for..and that keeps me going for a while..
Image

Image
Electrix
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Electrix »

me too , for a while then it ends. you go to the self harm thing. then youre screwed becuase once you start you cant stop, it becomes an addiction. in case you havent noted my name on msn ;\
Last edited by Electrix on Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]

forgedeuphoriacom - now with 30% less fat.

stylecommentcom - recently relaunched!

[/align]
Vercz
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 11:13 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Vercz »

been there, done that..not gonna say anything, cause ill probably end up encouraging it..
Image

Image
Electrix
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Electrix »

I been there done it too
[align=center]

forgedeuphoriacom - now with 30% less fat.

stylecommentcom - recently relaunched!

[/align]
Electrix
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Electrix »

I cant sleep. Demnit.
[align=center]

forgedeuphoriacom - now with 30% less fat.

stylecommentcom - recently relaunched!

[/align]
Tami
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10892
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:05 am

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Tami »

Electrix, I don't think you'll find anyone who is either staff or a regular at KG is going to judge you for this. As was pointed out, you've had this for awhile, and a doctor gave it a label. I am sure you will, instead of criticism, find alot of support here. Most if not all of us have battled severe depression at least once in our lives. I've been fighting it for years, and sometimes it's easier than other times to pull myself out of it. I "think" way too much, and listen to far too many "old tapes" that play in my head. Ones that were put there by ex's, family, people whom I thought were friends. They eat away at what little confidence I have, they interfere with what should be happy events because I'm so busy listening to the "old tapes" and having no faith in myself that I miss out on lots of good stuff. When I get like that, I write. Not on the puter, by hand--because that takes more focussed energy. I write whatever comes to mind. Most of the time it works, sometimes it doesn't. I know it will pass and my mood will pick up eventually. I do much better when I'm not around my family (by family I mean parents, sibling...not my own kids), and when I avoid people who play mindgames. The "old tapes" are very hard to get rid of, usually because they are made of "lessons" well learned, because there were consequences to not learning them. It's easier if you have support for these situations, which I have found here in the members, staff, and of course from exile & shy.

So don't feel we are going to ostracize you for having this problem Electrix-that couldn't be further from the truth. /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
Image

[color=\"#41211C\"]It takes years to build up trust and only seconds to destroy it

[/color]
Skidz`Crew
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Skidz`Crew »

Ada, Not To Sound Mean or Any Thing But Sense you Put It Like that i was Like " Just Hit The Eject Button " Lol Sorry.

Ohh Eletrix Humm i dont Know What To Say Really, Well We Will Give You the Support That We Can Give. And We Will Pray.
Image

ImageImage
Tami
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10892
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:05 am

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Tami »

Tech, don't you think if it were that easy I would? I've been living with this stuff for longer than most of you have been alive. It is very hard to explain, and unless you've travelled anything remotely close to the path I have, you wouldn't understand what's involved.
Image

[color=\"#41211C\"]It takes years to build up trust and only seconds to destroy it

[/color]
Shydragonchic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 9:42 am

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Shydragonchic »

hey I just watched a thing on TV the other day.....it is quite controversial... but I thought I'd give you the link so you can read a bit....
[url="http://www.truehope.com/"]Clickety[/url]
Tami
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10892
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:05 am

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Tami »

wow lots of info on that site, Shy....thnx for sharing it /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
Image

[color=\"#41211C\"]It takes years to build up trust and only seconds to destroy it

[/color]
Skidz`Crew
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Skidz`Crew »

I know Where Your Comming From Ada Even Thought i havet Experinced it My Self But I just Thought it was Funny at The Time Sorry.... =(
Image

ImageImage
Josh
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 4627
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:54 am

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Josh »

yea /blink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' /> that explains how I feel too o.o........ As much as people have it you'd think it would be quite normal by now /blum.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> lol!

It is hard to deal with. I started getting these feelings after my best friend got hit by a car and didn't make it. blah blah blah- I don't wanna get intot hat conversation just brings the feelings back.

Anyway- like everyone else has said; No one should judge you here. If so they might as well start judging a lot of people on this board =x

~Josh /sp_ike.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(spike)' />
[align=center]

Image

“If you stop learning, you stop living.” ~Tami Quiring

“It's the rare man who understands the value of a single perfect rose.”

[/align]
to@ds
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by to@ds »

My Mum is also a manic deepressive, Some times she can be hard to deal with. One minute she can be in a really good mood, then literaly change to a vile woman, but its about understanding more than anything. There are lots of things you can do to help. She finds writting things down very helpfull. Shes got this big book that she writes down all her thoughts in, she says that helps her alot. I sometimes get loads of things whiring round in my head and Ive tried doing the same and I find it helps too. Helps you order you thoughts and stuff. Maybe you could try this also. Shes coming down to see me in a week or so, so I'll ask her for some addvice that might be helpfull for you. You will get through it dude, just gota stay strong.
[align=center]Image[/align]

[align=center][color=\"#CC0000\"]"You may give a toad a wart, but a toad will never give you a wart"[/color][/align]

[align=center]eighty4toads.co.uk[/align]
Electrix
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Electrix »

Thanks guys, at least Ive got some support /huh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':huh:' /> ah well, somehow in which way or another, life throws things at you and dodge em o.o
[align=center]

forgedeuphoriacom - now with 30% less fat.

stylecommentcom - recently relaunched!

[/align]
Boogymanx
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:39 am

I Thought Ya'z Should Know

Post by Boogymanx »

[quote name='Electrix' date='Jul 31 2004, 07:34 AM']me too , for a while then it ends. you go to the self harm thing. then youre screwed becuase once you start you cant stop, it becomes an addiction. in case you havent noted my name on msn ;\[/quote]
Yeah,I get what you mean,I still have scars on my arms/stumach.
Post Reply

Return to “Main Street Archives”