I need ideas!

Support for Graphics Questions

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Post Reply
Sylo-X-
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:52 pm

I need ideas!

Post by Sylo-X- »

Okay, so Its my senior year in highschool and guess what? The yearbook staff has givin me the chance to design our yearbook cover. I have a couple ideas of my own but, We all know im not the only genius on this forum... So I wanna hear some of your ideas. Our schools name is Lincoln County High School and our mascot is a Lynx. Which is a form of wild cat for you lesser intelligent beings. Our past yearbooks have been alright but they haven't really been anything amazing. I wanna design something thats eye catching and that people will remember. Oh and our school colors are red white and black.
Image

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code =(

My Killa Blog
Josh
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 4627
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:54 am

I need ideas!

Post by Josh »

Ours are red & white... It would be nice if they threw in black lol. Our last year's yearbooks featured a neat look... Very simple... of course it looks so much better than this mock lol:
[align=center]

Image

“If you stop learning, you stop living.” ~Tami Quiring

“It's the rare man who understands the value of a single perfect rose.”

[/align]
Sylo-X-
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:52 pm

I need ideas!

Post by Sylo-X- »

Lol our yearbook last year was so plain... it was red with a big black "LC" in the middle...
Image

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code =(

My Killa Blog
Tami
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10892
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:05 am

I need ideas!

Post by Tami »

Joe here's an idea for you....do the lynx in outline (white) against a black background, with the school's name in red. Fade the white lines of the lynx, so that it gives him a kind of HDRish 3D sort of look. Done right, it would look like he's popping right off the cover.
Image

[color=\"#41211C\"]It takes years to build up trust and only seconds to destroy it

[/color]
Marko
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 960
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 12:12 am

I need ideas!

Post by Marko »

[quote name='Tami' post='40520' date='Aug 23 2007, 03:03 PM']Joe here's an idea for you....do the lynx in outline (white) against a black background, with the school's name in red. Fade the white lines of the lynx, so that it gives him a kind of HDRish 3D sort of look. Done right, it would look like he's popping right off the cover.[/quote]

Hmm... good idea, but he'd have to be very careful about which red to choose, because red, generally is hard to read on a black background. Personally, I'd stay away from it.
Image
Josh
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 4627
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:54 am

I need ideas!

Post by Josh »

[quote name='Marko' post='40523' date='Aug 23 2007, 03:34 AM']Hmm... good idea, but he'd have to be very careful about which red to choose, because red, generally is hard to read on a black background. Personally, I'd stay away from it.[/quote]

that's why you put a white outline around it /blum.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />
[align=center]

Image

“If you stop learning, you stop living.” ~Tami Quiring

“It's the rare man who understands the value of a single perfect rose.”

[/align]
Marko
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 960
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 12:12 am

I need ideas!

Post by Marko »

I thought tami meant jsut around the lynx. Still, I'm not entirely a fan.
Image
Tami
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10892
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:05 am

I need ideas!

Post by Tami »

It all depends on which shades are used. If the lettering is pillow embossed, which is what ours were, then the lettering would be metallic red and very easy to read on the black background.
Image

[color=\"#41211C\"]It takes years to build up trust and only seconds to destroy it

[/color]
Tibs
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:59 am

I need ideas!

Post by Tibs »

Keeping it simple would also be my first choice, they seem more attractive imho. Good luck with it !!!
...
Sylo-X-
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:52 pm

I need ideas!

Post by Sylo-X- »

I've come up with something... I'm not so sure I like it myself...I like the idea of it but...i dunno, what do you guys and gals think?

[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/lost__wishes/yearbook01.jpg"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/los.../yearbook01.jpg[/url]
Image

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code =(

My Killa Blog
Tami
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10892
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:05 am

I need ideas!

Post by Tami »

I like the background design, not too sure about the text though - it's awfully bright...and...big....
Image

[color=\"#41211C\"]It takes years to build up trust and only seconds to destroy it

[/color]
Josh
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 4627
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:54 am

I need ideas!

Post by Josh »

Looks too busy for my likes lol... I don't like the font though /blum.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />
[align=center]

Image

“If you stop learning, you stop living.” ~Tami Quiring

“It's the rare man who understands the value of a single perfect rose.”

[/align]
Jim
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 pm

I need ideas!

Post by Jim »

Yup, I agree; the text doesn't seem to fit well. The background however is very nice.
Love is all a matter of timing.

It's no good meeting the right person too soon or too late.

If I'd live in another time or place...

...my story might have had a very different ending.
Tibs
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:59 am

I need ideas!

Post by Tibs »

I have to agree with everyone on this, it looks way too busy and the font kinda destroys it.

Here's an example of another one I like a lot.

[url="http://www.aloha.com/~jjw/nyc.jpg"]http://www.aloha.com/~jjw/nyc.jpg[/url]
...
Josh
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 4627
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:54 am

I need ideas!

Post by Josh »

trojans...rofl /blum.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> I'd hate to be a school with the trojan mascot hahaha
[align=center]

Image

“If you stop learning, you stop living.” ~Tami Quiring

“It's the rare man who understands the value of a single perfect rose.”

[/align]
Sylo-X-
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:52 pm

I need ideas!

Post by Sylo-X- »

So four designs later the yearbook committee fell in love with this one...

[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/lost__wishes/yearbook04.jpg"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/los.../yearbook04.jpg[/url]
Image

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code =(

My Killa Blog
Josh
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 4627
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:54 am

I need ideas!

Post by Josh »

I still think that background is too busy for me lol... Also, I really hope you have made the image the right deminsions for printing properly lol... Also make sure when you send it in to be printed you use CYMK color mode..
[align=center]

Image

“If you stop learning, you stop living.” ~Tami Quiring

“It's the rare man who understands the value of a single perfect rose.”

[/align]
Marko
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 960
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 12:12 am

I need ideas!

Post by Marko »

I'm not a fan, I am a person damn it! /ph34r.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

but no really, not a fan.
Also it's probably best if you have your DPI to 300+ /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(nod)' />
Image
Sylo-X-
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:52 pm

I need ideas!

Post by Sylo-X- »

What do you mean by busy? And what can I do to improve it? gotta know by tomorrow if ya can, they want it to be final tomorrow
Image

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code =(

My Killa Blog
Tibs
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:59 am

I need ideas!

Post by Tibs »

Why don't you just use the Lynx picture as a subtile background and then add some plain text over it, using a diffirent font though?
...
Sylo-X-
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:52 pm

I need ideas!

Post by Sylo-X- »

Because thats pretty much the exact thing they have done the last three years. Thats why I think everyone on the committee likes my design is cause its way different then what they're used to seeing.
Image

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code =(

My Killa Blog
Shydragonchic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 9:42 am

I need ideas!

Post by Shydragonchic »

[quote name='Dren' post='40584' date='Aug 24 2007, 04:38 AM']trojans...rofl /blum.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> I'd hate to be a school with the trojan mascot hahaha[/quote]


/shocking.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(ack)' /> I spent 6 years being a Delburne Trojan :'(
Sylo-X-
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:52 pm

I need ideas!

Post by Sylo-X- »

Lol one of my favorite track meets is the Paruhmp Trojans Invitational
Image

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code =(

My Killa Blog
Tibs
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:59 am

I need ideas!

Post by Tibs »

[quote name='Sylo-X-' post='40628' date='Aug 29 2007, 09:46 AM']Because thats pretty much the exact thing they have done the last three years. Thats why I think everyone on the committee likes my design is cause its way different then what they're used to seeing.[/quote]

Well if that's the case I personally would recommend a diffirent font, cause it's not really suitable imho.


Just my 2 cents
...
Sylo-X-
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:52 pm

I need ideas!

Post by Sylo-X- »

Yeah i see what your saying. But they already told me that its the one they wanted to use and they wont let me change it anymore.
Image

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code =(

My Killa Blog
Post Reply

Return to “2D Graphics”