Page 1 of 1

I need ideas!

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:45 pm
by Sylo-X-
Okay, so Its my senior year in highschool and guess what? The yearbook staff has givin me the chance to design our yearbook cover. I have a couple ideas of my own but, We all know im not the only genius on this forum... So I wanna hear some of your ideas. Our schools name is Lincoln County High School and our mascot is a Lynx. Which is a form of wild cat for you lesser intelligent beings. Our past yearbooks have been alright but they haven't really been anything amazing. I wanna design something thats eye catching and that people will remember. Oh and our school colors are red white and black.

I need ideas!

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:58 pm
by Josh
Ours are red & white... It would be nice if they threw in black lol. Our last year's yearbooks featured a neat look... Very simple... of course it looks so much better than this mock lol:

I need ideas!

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:00 pm
by Sylo-X-
Lol our yearbook last year was so plain... it was red with a big black "LC" in the middle...

I need ideas!

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:33 pm
by Tami
Joe here's an idea for you....do the lynx in outline (white) against a black background, with the school's name in red. Fade the white lines of the lynx, so that it gives him a kind of HDRish 3D sort of look. Done right, it would look like he's popping right off the cover.

I need ideas!

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:34 am
by Marko
[quote name='Tami' post='40520' date='Aug 23 2007, 03:03 PM']Joe here's an idea for you....do the lynx in outline (white) against a black background, with the school's name in red. Fade the white lines of the lynx, so that it gives him a kind of HDRish 3D sort of look. Done right, it would look like he's popping right off the cover.[/quote]

Hmm... good idea, but he'd have to be very careful about which red to choose, because red, generally is hard to read on a black background. Personally, I'd stay away from it.

I need ideas!

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:50 am
by Josh
[quote name='Marko' post='40523' date='Aug 23 2007, 03:34 AM']Hmm... good idea, but he'd have to be very careful about which red to choose, because red, generally is hard to read on a black background. Personally, I'd stay away from it.[/quote]

that's why you put a white outline around it /blum.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

I need ideas!

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:56 am
by Marko
I thought tami meant jsut around the lynx. Still, I'm not entirely a fan.

I need ideas!

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:21 am
by Tami
It all depends on which shades are used. If the lettering is pillow embossed, which is what ours were, then the lettering would be metallic red and very easy to read on the black background.

I need ideas!

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:33 am
by Tibs
Keeping it simple would also be my first choice, they seem more attractive imho. Good luck with it !!!

I need ideas!

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:26 pm
by Sylo-X-
I've come up with something... I'm not so sure I like it myself...I like the idea of it but...i dunno, what do you guys and gals think?

[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/lost__wishes/yearbook01.jpg"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/los.../yearbook01.jpg[/url]

I need ideas!

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:31 pm
by Tami
I like the background design, not too sure about the text though - it's awfully bright...and...big....

I need ideas!

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:36 pm
by Josh
Looks too busy for my likes lol... I don't like the font though /blum.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

I need ideas!

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:41 pm
by Jim
Yup, I agree; the text doesn't seem to fit well. The background however is very nice.

I need ideas!

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:44 am
by Tibs
I have to agree with everyone on this, it looks way too busy and the font kinda destroys it.

Here's an example of another one I like a lot.

[url="http://www.aloha.com/~jjw/nyc.jpg"]http://www.aloha.com/~jjw/nyc.jpg[/url]

I need ideas!

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:38 am
by Josh
trojans...rofl /blum.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> I'd hate to be a school with the trojan mascot hahaha

I need ideas!

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:11 pm
by Sylo-X-
So four designs later the yearbook committee fell in love with this one...

[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/lost__wishes/yearbook04.jpg"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/los.../yearbook04.jpg[/url]

I need ideas!

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:36 pm
by Josh
I still think that background is too busy for me lol... Also, I really hope you have made the image the right deminsions for printing properly lol... Also make sure when you send it in to be printed you use CYMK color mode..

I need ideas!

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:35 pm
by Marko
I'm not a fan, I am a person damn it! /ph34r.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

but no really, not a fan.
Also it's probably best if you have your DPI to 300+ /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(nod)' />

I need ideas!

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:54 pm
by Sylo-X-
What do you mean by busy? And what can I do to improve it? gotta know by tomorrow if ya can, they want it to be final tomorrow

I need ideas!

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:51 am
by Tibs
Why don't you just use the Lynx picture as a subtile background and then add some plain text over it, using a diffirent font though?

I need ideas!

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:46 am
by Sylo-X-
Because thats pretty much the exact thing they have done the last three years. Thats why I think everyone on the committee likes my design is cause its way different then what they're used to seeing.

I need ideas!

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:50 pm
by Shydragonchic
[quote name='Dren' post='40584' date='Aug 24 2007, 04:38 AM']trojans...rofl /blum.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> I'd hate to be a school with the trojan mascot hahaha[/quote]


/shocking.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(ack)' /> I spent 6 years being a Delburne Trojan :'(

I need ideas!

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:27 pm
by Sylo-X-
Lol one of my favorite track meets is the Paruhmp Trojans Invitational

I need ideas!

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:37 am
by Tibs
[quote name='Sylo-X-' post='40628' date='Aug 29 2007, 09:46 AM']Because thats pretty much the exact thing they have done the last three years. Thats why I think everyone on the committee likes my design is cause its way different then what they're used to seeing.[/quote]

Well if that's the case I personally would recommend a diffirent font, cause it's not really suitable imho.


Just my 2 cents

I need ideas!

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:54 am
by Sylo-X-
Yeah i see what your saying. But they already told me that its the one they wanted to use and they wont let me change it anymore.