Google Awards Top Coder
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:19 pm
Google Awards Top Coder
By Jason Lee Miller
Now here's a kid that can write his own ticket. Marek Cygan, a student at Warsaw University, won the grand prize in Google's 2005 Google Code Jam, a programming contest that attracted 14,500 A-one programmers from around the world.
Google says that number of participants is nearly double last year's entries. Cygan, along with 99 other finalists from all over the world, received an all-expense paid trip to the Googleplex in Mountain View, California, and arrived back in Poland with the title of Top Coder, $10,000 richer for his efforts.
The second and third place winners, Erik-Jan Krijgsman of the Netherlands, and Petr Mitrichev of Russia, received $5000 each.
Google employee Chris DiBona blogged positively about the annual Code Jam event.
"Seriously though, what a neat contest. I wish I had done something like this when I was in school," writes DiBona.
About the Author:
Jason L. Miller is a staff writer for WebProNews covering technology and business.
Source: [url="http://www.devnewz.com/"]DevNewz[/url]
By Jason Lee Miller
Now here's a kid that can write his own ticket. Marek Cygan, a student at Warsaw University, won the grand prize in Google's 2005 Google Code Jam, a programming contest that attracted 14,500 A-one programmers from around the world.
Google says that number of participants is nearly double last year's entries. Cygan, along with 99 other finalists from all over the world, received an all-expense paid trip to the Googleplex in Mountain View, California, and arrived back in Poland with the title of Top Coder, $10,000 richer for his efforts.
The second and third place winners, Erik-Jan Krijgsman of the Netherlands, and Petr Mitrichev of Russia, received $5000 each.
Google employee Chris DiBona blogged positively about the annual Code Jam event.
"Seriously though, what a neat contest. I wish I had done something like this when I was in school," writes DiBona.
About the Author:
Jason L. Miller is a staff writer for WebProNews covering technology and business.
Source: [url="http://www.devnewz.com/"]DevNewz[/url]